Basic Advice On How To Write A Good Essay For Primary School
For most students, primary school might be the first time they are expected to write a certain standard of academic writing. Here is some advice on how to best go about writing these kinds of papers:
- Length: Make sure that the piece isn’t too long or short. It might be a good idea to speak to the teacher on what should be the ideal length of this. In primary school usually, the length is measured by a number of pages instead of words. You can safely assume that going a half page over the recommended length will be permissible for submission.
- Paragraphs: It is important to teach the primary school child the importance of correctly formatting their work. A good essay will have at least three paragraphs if not more - Introduction, Body and Discussion, Conclusion. It might be a good idea to break even up the body of the piece into more parts if required, especially if it is longer than one page.
- Logical flow: At the primary school level, less importance is given to the content of the paper and more to the logical flow and structure of the work - to better prepare the students for more serious writing in the following years of their education. Therefore, it is important to structure the paper in a way where it makes logical sense. Whatever the subject is, make sure that there is a good introduction and conclusion, the body should discuss the subject and make some references and examples if required.
- Using facts and opinions: The student should also include some facts and write their own opinions on those facts in the body of the essay. This will definitely help their work stand out. It is important to encourage the student to start practicing some level of research for their paper so that they can begin to get used to this idea. By researching in libraries or online, they will be able to include facts on the topic and formulate their own opinions.
- Writing Style: The style has to sound slightly more academic at this stage, rather than like a story. While this takes practice, it might be a good idea to read a few professionally written ones to get a better idea.
Essays written in primary school are just used as tools to prepare students for more elaborate ones in the future. A good piece at this stage should show evidence of good structure and a logical flow of information.